Thursday, September 30, 2010

Prompt 2

"What steps are you taking as a sophomore/senior to ensure that you have professional work experience before the year is over?"

I truly believe that my work at Career Services has given me some of the best training for a professional work environment.  However, I my goal is to also expand other skills that I feel will help me in my post-graduate career pursuing a career in media-studies education.  One of the projects I'm currently working on is helping produce a television program to be featured on Burlington's local network Channel 17.  The television program is to feature weekly live student debates.  Although I am not necessarily working with a professional production firm on this project, I am collaborating with UVM TV and the UVM Lawrence Debate Union (which I have been a member of for the past 2 years) to create this program.  I want to apply the skills I am currently learning in an introduction to video production class I am taking. 

Understanding the production aspect of media studies is something I haven't really honed in on during my undergraduate career, so I am taking advantage of these opportunities to further my knowledge of production.  I look forward to being able to list "assistant producer" on my resume, because I feel like it will show that I am well-rounded in the area of media-studies.  By diversifying my experience from purely critical studies to being a part production projects, I can better market how my variety of skills are truly an asset.  Whether it's applying for a PhD program, or applying for a position in the media industry, my goal is to make myself seem as competent as possible about media studies.  Now that I am in my senior year, I feel that learning about production will be key in marketing myself post-graduation.

No comments:

Post a Comment